Local Leader Recognized for Business Leadership, Community Service, & Philanthropy
The W. Edwards Deming Business Leadership and Entrepreneurial Excellence Award was presented to local business executive John Gleeson at the 34th Annual Siouxland Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting on Tuesday evening. Hosted at the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Sioux City, Gleeson was honored for his decades of business leadership, community service, and philanthropy.
Gleeson serves as the President and CEO of the Klinger Companies, Inc., and represents the third generation of family leadership for the national construction firm. Upon receiving the honor, Gleeson stated, “I am most appreciative to receive this award this evening. I am very thankful that my grandfather and my parents provided an unparalleled example of a strong commitment to the community. I also understand the most significant reason for the Klinger Companies’ success for the past 100 years is the outstanding men and women who have been part of this company.”
Gleeson was lauded for his corporate and community leadership, as well as his philanthropy by several leading local executives, including last year’s Deming Award recipient, Doug Palmer, who said, “I’ve been proud to know him as a friend for over 40 years. He’s just been a terrific person and a terrific asset for Sioux City.”
Security National Bank President and CEO Doug Rice added, “I think of John’s tremendous commitment to philanthropy and the charitable causes, of which there are many, that he has provided his time, talent, and money. So many have benefitted from John’s efforts.”
Earlier this year, the Klinger Companies and the Gleeson Family Foundation contributed $1 million dollars to the United Way of Siouxland’s endowment fund. Heather Hennings, who serves as the Executive Director of the United Way, explained, “When I think about people who have received the Deming Award in the past, John Gleeson definitely fits into this mix. He’s giving, he’s caring…he really cares, and he shows that.”
Morningside College President John Reynders also praised Gleeson asserting, “Morningside College is a better place because of John Gleeson and Siouxland is a better place. I can’t think of a better recipient than John Gleeson for the Deming Award.”
The Deming Award is presented annually to an outstanding business executive and exceptional community leader in the tri-state region. Gleeson joins an exclusive list of past recipients who have been recognized for their entrepreneurial success, business leadership and commitment to Siouxland.
The W. Edwards Deming Business Leadership & Entrepreneurial Excellence Award is presented in honor of Dr. W. Edwards Deming, a Sioux City native and world-renowned statistician, philosopher and educator. This award is designed to recognize local business executives who have exhibited outstanding leadership and corporate citizenship, within the Siouxland community, as well as originality, quality, productivity, and performance within the realm of their business.
Dr. W. Edwards Deming Business Leadership & Entrepreneurial Excellence Award
Award Criteria: The W. Edwards Deming Business Leadership & Entrepreneurial Excellence Award is presented in honor of Dr. W. Edwards Deming, a Sioux City native and world-renowned statistician, philosopher and educator. This award is designed to recognize local business executives who have exhibited outstanding leadership and corporate citizenship, within the Siouxland community, as well as originality, quality, productivity, and performance within the realm of their business.
- 1991 – Ted Waitt, Gateway
- 1992 – Wrede Smith, American Pop Corn Company
- 1993 – Harold Bomgaars, Bomgaars
- 1994 – Fred Davenport, Davenport Companies
- 1995 – William Dible, Terra Industries Inc.
- 1996 Byron Brower, Brower Construction Company
- 1997 Sam Bernstein, State Steel Supply Company
- 1998 Robert Williams, Williams and Company
- 1999 Roland Junck, Prince Manufacturing
- 2000 William Metz, Metz Baking Company
- 2001 Robert Peterson, IBP, Inc.
- 2002Eldon Roth, Beef Products, Inc.
- 2003 Chuck Long, Long Lines
- 2004 Irving F. Jensen, Jr., Irving F. Jensen Company
- 2005 Pat Boeshart, Lite-Form Technologies LLC
- 2006 Ken Ackerman, K & B Transportation
- 2007 Leonard Gill, LP Gill, Inc.
- 2008 Allen Mahaney, Soo Tractor Sweeprake Company
- 2009 Mike Bennett, Terra Industries
- 2010 Roger and Jane Bomgaars, Bomgaars
- 2011 James Yanney, Guarantee Roofing & Siding
- 2012 Steve Schneider, Gerkin Windows and Doors
- 2013 Mike Wells, Wells Enterprises, Inc.
- 2014 Garrett Smith, American Pop Corn Company
- 2015 Regina Roth, BPI
- 2016 Richard Waller, Security National Bank
- 2017 Bev and Jim Wharton, Briar Cliff University / City of Sioux City
- 2018 Douglas Palmer, Tegra Corporation, Palmer Candy Company